My wife is very sensitive to chemicals and we spent years researching and testing various non-toxic laundry detergents. So, if you’re looking for the best non-toxic laundry detergent that combines effectiveness, kindness to your skin, environmental-friendliness, and affordability, you’ve come to the right place!
The optimal non-toxic laundry detergent out there combines the right proportions of effective natural cleaning ingredients, skin-kindness, environmental-friendliness, and affordability. Such detergents lack harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances, reducing skin irritation and environmental contamination.
Based on my experience, here are the best non-toxic laundry detergents:
1. Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Laundry Detergent
Dr. Bronner’s Laundry Detergent is available as liquid soap. It contains over 90% organic ingredients, with more than 70% of these ingredients being certified in fair trade. All the ingredients are plant-based and the soap does not include any synthetic preservatives, foaming agents, and dyes.
The best part about Dr. Bronner’s liquid soaps is that they are multipurpose; they can be used for laundry, washing pets, washing dishes, mopping, and much more. And since they are three times more concentrated than other liquid detergents, you can expect these to last even longer.
- Lathers well
- No nasty fragrances
- Not cheap
- Lids may break
2. ATTITUDE Baby Laundry Detergent
BEST For Babies
If you are looking for a safe laundry detergent for babies’ clothes, then you need the ATTITUDE Baby laundry detergent. This detergent is infused with baby-safe ingredients that are gentle on the hands and fabric. It is free of any harsh chemicals usually included in most traditional detergents, such as formaldehyde, phthalates, parabens, and phosphates.
The ATTITUDE laundry detergent is also infused with colloidal oatmeal, making it safe for individuals with eczema and allergies. Besides, it does a great job of removing dirt and stains from kids’ clothes.
- Smells amazing
- EWG verified
- May not remove stubborn stains
- Not cheap
3. ECOS Laundry Detergent
ECOS laundry detergent has been tested by dermatologists and proven to be hypoallergenic and friendly to sensitive skin. It is only made of synthetic fragrances and dyes and does not contain any harmful chemicals that could harm the body and the environment.
Also, the laundry detergent comes in plastic-free packaging, making it a sustainable choice of laundry. And in addition to being sustainable and skin-friendly, ECOS has a powerful cleaning mechanism that removes the stubbornest stains.
- Suitable for washing machines
- Dissolve well
- Does not leave residue
- The detergent smell may not be appealing to some
4. Heritage Park Laundry Detergent
This laundry detergent is both people and planet safe. It’s enzyme-neutral, ph-neutral and does not contain any toxic chemicals, such as optical brighteners, sulfates, and chlorine bleach. The detergent is also produced in small batches using naturally-derived ingredients, making it safe for the environment.
The Heritage Laundry Detergent is ideal for washing protein-based fabrics, such as wool, llama, alpaca, silk, washable furs, cashmere, camel, and other fabrics. The large bottle is also of good quantity, lasting up to 128 washes.
- Beautiful scent
- Ideal for both hand-wash and machine-wash
- Gentle on skin
- Not ideal for removing tough stains
- Not cheap
5. Rebel Green Organic Laundry Detergent
The Rebel Green laundry detergent is infused with a 3x concentrated formula that deeply cleans clothes and removes stains. Yet, even with its powerful cleaning mechanism, the detergent is gentle on the skin and can be used safely by individuals with sensitive hands.
The detergent is also sustainable, as it is made using plant-based ingredients and is free of any parabens, dyes, and harsh materials. It also incorporates organic surfactants that are organic-based, making it soft on delicate fabrics.
- Smells great
- Gentle on sensitive skin
- A little thin and watery
6. NaturOli Soap Nuts/Soap Berries
The NaturOli laundry detergent is available as soap nuts/soap berries. It is 100% natural, made from the Sapindus Mukorossi fruit of the Himalayas. In addition to the soap berries, the package also comes with one large wash bag and an 8-page instructional pamphlet.
The laundry detergent is also all-purpose and can be used for different cleaning purposes in the house. Being hypoallergenic and free of any fragrances, it can also be used safely by individuals with sensitive skin.
- No plastic packaging
- Leaves laundry soft and clean
- Ideal for delicate fabric and diapers
- May not remove stubborn stains
7. LAZY COCONUTS Laundry Detergent Sheets
The Lazy Coconuts Laundry Detergent is ideal for both hand wash and machine wash. It is available in the form of detergent sheets/strips that are biodegradable, vegan-friendly, and cruelty-free. All the strips are 100% plant-based and come packaged in recyclable, plastic-free cardboard.
The laundry detergent sheets are also perfect for travel. After all, the packs are much lighter than other liquid detergents, making them easy to carry while traveling.
- No residue
- Dissolves fast
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- Travel friendly
- May not dissolve well in cold water
8. HS HOME STATION Laundry Detergent
The HS Home Station Detergent comes as a pack of 60 laundry detergent sheets, with each sheet measuring 5.51” in length by 4.33” in width. The pre-cut, large size of the sheets not only makes them suitable for even bigger loads of clothes but also helps to prevent any over-spillage as the sheets are premeasured.
The detergent sheets are made using natural ingredients and do not include any plastic packaging. Besides being eco-friendly, the sheets are placed in compact packaging, making them easy to store and carry.
- Doesn’t dye white clothes
- Sheets disintegrate fast in water
- Travel friendly
- Some sheets may stick to the sides of the washer
- Weak scent
9. Grab Green Stoneworks Laundry Detergent
This laundry detergent comes in a pack of 50 detergent pods and 80 dryer sheets. The detergent pods have a strong cleaning mechanism that cuts through dirt and stains, leaving the fabric clean and fresh. As for the dryer sheets, these are designed to naturally soften clothes, reducing any static cling
Both the Grab Green Stoneworks Laundry detergent pods and dryer sheets are premeasured to help users avoid any over-spillage. Furthermore, they are made with safe, natural ingredients that are free of any harsh chemicals.
- Amazing smell
- Takes little shelf space
- The scent may not last long
- Material outside the pods may not dissolve fully
10. Wellspring Handmade Laundry Soap Bar
The Wellspring Laundry Soap Bar is very gentle on clothes and hands. It can be safely used for all types of fabric, such as dark colors, baby clothes, diapers, and other delicate fabrics. The soap bar can also be used safely by those with allergies and different skin sensitivities.
However, despite being gentle, the Wellness Soap Bar is also a powerful cleanser that effectively removes stains from clothes. The detergent does not include any artificial colors or harsh chemicals, making it eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Removes stains well
- Lovely fragrance
- Good value for money
- May not last long
Table Of Contents
The Importance of Using Non-Toxic Laundry Detergents
When it comes to doing our laundry, most of us don’t give much thought to the detergent we use. However, conventional laundry detergents can have a significant impact on both our health and the environment. That’s why using non-toxic laundry detergents has become increasingly important.
Impact on Health and Environment
Conventional laundry detergents often contain a variety of toxic chemicals that can have adverse effects on our health. These chemicals can irritate the skin, cause allergies, and even disrupt our hormonal balance.
People with sensitive skin or allergies are particularly vulnerable to the harsh chemicals found in these detergents. By switching to non-toxic laundry detergents, we can minimize the risk of skin irritation and allergic reactions.
Additionally, the environmental impact of conventional laundry detergents cannot be ignored. Many of these detergents contain phosphates, which contribute to water pollution and harm aquatic life. They also often contain synthetic fragrances and dyes that can persist in the environment and contribute to air pollution. If you are environmentally conscious, by choosing non-toxic laundry detergents, we can reduce our carbon footprint and protect the planet.
Understanding What Makes a Laundry Detergent ‘Non-Toxic’
Main Chemicals to Avoid
Now that we understand the importance of using non-toxic laundry detergents, let’s dive into what makes a detergent ‘non-toxic.’ When searching for a detergent with more natural ingredients, there are several main chemicals to avoid:
- Phosphates: These chemicals not only contribute to water pollution but can also cause algae blooms that deplete oxygen levels in aquatic ecosystems.
- Optical brighteners: While they may make your clothes appear brighter, optical brighteners are harmful to the environment and can cause skin irritation.
- Artificial fragrances: Synthetic fragrances can contain hundreds of chemicals, some of which are known to cause allergies and respiratory problems.
- Sulfates: These surfactants can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. They can also be harmful to aquatic life.
Basis of a Non-Toxic Laundry Detergent
Non-toxic laundry detergents are formulated with natural cleaning ingredients that are gentle on both our skin and the environment. These ingredients are derived from renewable resources and are biodegradable, meaning they break down easily without causing harm to ecosystems. Some common natural ingredients found in non-toxic laundry detergents include:
- Plant-based surfactants: These natural cleaning agents effectively remove dirt and stains without the need for harsh chemicals.
- Enzymes: Certain enzymes can break down tough stains and odors, providing powerful cleaning action without the need for synthetic additives.
- Essential oils: Natural essential oils can provide a pleasant scent to your laundry without the use of artificial fragrances.
How to Effectively Use Non-Toxic Laundry Detergents
Dosage & Techniques for Optimal Results
Using a non-toxic laundry detergent effectively involves more than just pouring the recommended amount into your washing machine. To achieve optimal results and ensure that your clothes come out clean and fresh, it’s important to follow the proper dosage and techniques.
- Always refer to the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Different detergents may have different recommendations for dosage depending on the water hardness, load size, and level of dirtiness. Using too little detergent may not effectively clean your clothes, while using too much can leave residue and reduce the efficiency of your machine.
- Before adding the detergent, it’s a good idea to pre-treat any tough stains. This can be done by applying a small amount of the detergent directly onto the stain and gently rubbing it in. Let it sit for a few minutes before putting the garment into the machine.
- When it’s time to add the detergent to the machine, make sure to distribute it evenly. This can be done by adding it to the detergent dispenser or directly into the drum of the machine before adding the clothes. Avoid pouring the detergent directly onto the clothes, as this can result in uneven cleaning.
- Choose the appropriate washing mode on the machine. For optimal results, it’s important to choose the right washing mode and water temperature. Follow the care instructions on your clothing labels and select the appropriate cycle and temperature. Using cold water can be a more eco-friendly option and can help preserve the colors and longevity of your garments.
Compatibility with Different Fabrics and Washing Modes
Non-toxic laundry detergents are designed to be compatible with a wide range of fabrics and washing modes. However, it’s always a good idea to double-check and ensure that the detergent you choose is suitable for the specific fabrics you are washing and the washing machine you are using.
For delicate fabrics such as silk or wool, look for detergents that are specially formulated for these types of materials. These detergents tend to be gentler and milder, reducing the risk of damage or shrinking. It’s also a good idea to use a lower agitation setting on your washing machine for delicate items.
If you have allergies or sensitive skin, consider using a hypoallergenic detergent that is free from common irritants. These detergents are designed to minimize skin reactions and are often labeled as suitable for sensitive skin.
When it comes to washing machines with different washing modes, such as front-loading or high-efficiency machines, check if the detergent you choose is compatible. Some detergents are specifically formulated for these types of machines, ensuring optimal cleaning and efficiency.
Additional Non-Toxic Laundry Products to Complement Detergents
In addition to non-toxic laundry detergents, there are other products that can complement your laundry routine and provide further benefits.
One such product is a non-toxic fabric softener. Fabric softeners can help reduce static, make clothes feel softer, and leave a pleasant scent. Look for fabric softeners that are free from artificial fragrances, synthetic preservatives, and toxic chemicals. Consider using fabric softeners made from natural ingredients such as essential oils or plant-based compounds.
Another product to consider is a non-toxic stain remover. While non-toxic laundry detergents are usually effective at removing common stains, some stubborn stains may require extra attention. Look for stain removers that are free from chlorine bleach, phosphates, and optical brighteners. These types of stain removers can help tackle tough stains without compromising the safety of your clothes or the environment.
Lastly, consider using non-toxic laundry boosters such as color-safe bleach or brightening agents. These products can help revive dull colors, remove grime, and keep your whites looking bright. Look for laundry boosters that are free from harsh chemicals and are safe to use on a variety of fabrics.
Resources and References
When exploring the world of non-toxic laundry detergents, it can be helpful to consult additional resources and references for more information and recommendations. Here are some sources that you may find useful:
- Environmental working group (EWG) – an organization that provides information on the safety and sustainability of various household products, including laundry detergents.
- Consumer reviews websites and platforms such as Amazon, Walmart, and Target – these platforms often have user reviews and ratings that can help you gauge the performance and effectiveness of different non-toxic laundry detergents.
- Non-profit organizations focused on sustainability and non-toxic living, such as Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth – these organizations may provide resources and recommendations for eco-friendly and non-toxic laundry detergents.
- Manufacturers’ websites and customer service – visiting the websites of specific non-toxic laundry detergent brands can provide valuable information about their products, ingredients, and usage guidelines. Contacting their customer service can also help answer any specific questions or concerns you may have.
By utilizing these resources and references, you can gather a wealth of knowledge and make an informed decision when choosing the best non-toxic laundry detergents for your needs.
So there you have it! The best non-toxic laundry detergents of this year! After countless hours of research and testing, we’ve narrowed down our top choices for you. These detergents tick all the boxes – they’re effective at getting your clothes clean, gentle on your skin, eco-friendly, and won’t break the bank!
Why settle for anything less when it comes to taking care of your clothes and the planet? With these top non-toxic laundry detergents, you can have it all. Say goodbye to harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances, and hello to a clean, green, and kind laundry routine. Your skin and the environment will thank you for choosing the best non-toxic laundry detergent!
You may also be interested in reading: